Saturday, March 03, 2007

Word



In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight.


I memorized the above verses (among others) as a child. I loved approval, points, prizes...you name it. That is the kind of student I was and am. Last Sunday we were challenged with the idea that reading the Word is not about winning arguments or having the best theology; it is about knowing a person and being closer to Jesus. And yet lately these and other verses have come to me when I have needed them. I am grateful that although I may have learned them by heart for reasons of approval, these words are on my heart now.

Deuteronomy 6: 6
These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

3 comments:

Lady J said...

Words are so powerful, poignant and can be a source of comfort. My words for you continue to be powerful words of prayer, that you may find comfort, knowing that so many people care. We love you.

Anonymous said...

I read a book right now about England during the time when the Bible was translated into English so everyone could read it.
There is the part where someone gives an English text to an anchoress to pass it on. And it was dangerous to have those papers with one.

"Finn asked that you pass these papers to the dwarf the next time he visits you. But if you think they will place you in danger, I will take them away and burn them."

"Burn them! Burn the precious words of our Saviour, Saint John's record of the acts of our Lord. Could you really do that?"

"They are only words."

"But holy words. THE Word!"

"I am a practical woman, anchoress. Holy words, yes. But life is sacred, too. Do we not have a duty to the Creator to preserve the creation, or should we just all march merrily to our graves, holy martyrs for some words scribbled on a piece of paper that can be reproduced? If we are alive to do it."

Looking at it this way I think memorizing words in not wrong or so seek His approvel, but merely to have them with you at any time you are in need of them. They comfort you and that is the main idea of them, right?

jenn with two n's said...

Thanks Jeanette! I agree with you both about the power of words. Absolutely Andrea, many have found comfort in having memorized scripture...stories of when people have been imprisoned come to mind. Sometimes this means even when we have our own prisons of depression words that are not our own can help us out.