
I did not see winter coming. It was not in my thinking at all. I had only one thought. I was having a baby, a child. But winter came. And my baby who had been my little heater was physically cold now too. On some of those bitter -30C days I don't really remember how we got through them. Prayers, family, my husband kept me warm, safe, breathing, living. There were laughter and tears. And now the snow has begun to melt. The kids at school linger outside when 'the end of recess' bell goes. A new season is here, spring. With it hope and life. I am grateful for changes in the seasons. It is life affirming and necessary to have these transitions and to be able to have a reprieve from winter. I know this is not the last we have seen of winter. But I also know we can get through winters to come. We are not alone.
Ecclesiastes 3
A Time for Everything
1 There is a time for everything,and a season for every activity under heaven:
2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.
9 What does the worker gain from his toil? 10 I have seen the burden God has laid on men. 11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. 12 I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. 13 That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God. 14 I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him.
3 comments:
Encouraging words. Its funny. When it comes to the seasons, I always look forward to the start of winter and the start of summer. I get tired of summer when the bugs are in the highest, and I get tired of winter when the snow piles are the biggest. Yet we need these changes. Am I just weird or just not able to enjoy the seasons? I know they have their time, and their joys and delights, and yet I look forward for one to end and one to start. Maybe that's how we can live with change even when it hurts to go another step.
Change seems to find all of us doesn't it, even if we do not seek it out ourselves. Lives, friends, jobs, houses, moods, grief, seasons and plans...We need to embrace change and not be afraid of it, and face it head on even when it's not a welcome change. Just like life, the seasons can't stay the same either, and sometimes change can bring with it a breath of fresh air. I hope you find new life within you this spring, to rejuvenate your tired soul and face summer with a new perspective, so that you are able to face winter when it rolls around again.
interesting Andrew- Since I've been in Abilene it has been hard because there are not really seasons. Spring and autumn are about non-existent, and I miss them so much! I have realized that I don't like process much, I like the end product. The process is the waiting and being in the moment and not always turning my heart to the future. I don't think it is always a good thing, but we do need both.
Post a Comment