Thursday, March 22, 2007

When did I start listening?



When did I start listening to CBC Radio? As I child it was always on: in the kitchen on mornings before school, in the kitchen after school, to and from school and church in the car, on the way to ringette and other activities: Morningside, Quirks and Quarks, The Morning Edition, the Afternoon Edition, the Vinyl Cafe, As It Happens, listening to the long dash followed by.... Ideas. How often did we ask Dad to change the station? Well I'm an adult now who owns her own car and radio and I can choose. And often I choose CBC (lately I've been listening to The Current in the mornings and Ideas in the evenings in the car).

On the way to aquaboxercise tonight I was listening to Ideas and here Ron Rolheiser (he is a catholic priest and a writer) was speaking about God. He talked about God being of suprises. How often do we look at the day thinking: something may happen today that will take me by surprise? How can I be more like the little children Jesus admonishes us to be like? Do I look at the world with wonder and mystery or are my days planned out? Perhaps this feeling of being in limbo is reminding me not to worry what tomorrow has in it, live by grace--have that whole Lord willing kind of thinking, kind of living and being. He who has ears let him hear.

Ok Dad I admit it CBC has some pretty good programs.
Did you beg your parents to switch the station?
Can you hear the voices and the songs for these programs in your head?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenn, that sounds like my life. CBC was on everywhere. And you didn't dare speak in certain programs. We could never have the music channels. But I don't mind it now.

Anonymous said...

Aquaboxercise??? LOL

armacleod said...

As much as I love the CBC I got tired of the talky channel a long time ago. I've been converted to the dark side of CBC radio 2. Classical music and things. Generally I'll switch back for a good show Vinyl Café or the news once or twice but generally its radio 2 for me. With some exceptions. In the car I'll listen to a CD or even my mp3 player now and then and often enough I'll listen to the silence... (well the silence you get with a car driving 100 down the highway, with the fan on full.)

pella said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! Do I remember the tunes of CBC...the voice of Ross Porter on After Hours...and those space sounds from quirks and quarks in the 80's...ahhh CBC...I think our families had similar passions for CBC...it was ALWAYS on!! And now I'm converting Brad...mwaaamwaaa Ha haha ha!

Madame Angela Baggett said...

funny- of course I'm one of the 3 who begged for a channel change. Ironically, I married a listener of public radio, although we listen to more music stuff than talk stuff- classical & jazz, my favorite show is called thistles and shamrocks. When I'm not listening to Brian's choices though, I usually don't have anything on. If I really want noise, I'll pick out a CD.

Anonymous said...

Jenn, you know our families are so much the same. We didn't bother to ask to change the chanel. I remember asking mom, "What is that?" AS some terrible song blasting out of all three radios in the house. She replied, "Its whatever the CBC decides I need to hear!" And now more than 1/2 the time my radio is tunes into CBC! How did that happen? I mean, turning into our parents??? Yikes!

Anonymous said...

oops...that was Andrea (the Muirhead one)... could you guess?? Love you!

jenn with two n's said...

Andrea, I think I heard your mom call into the CBC on a program on the ancients--Greeks and Romans and such--a couple weeks ago. She got the answer right too. We knew it had to happen that we'd start listening; it all went according to 'their' (the parents) plan.

Lynn--aquaboxercise...basically it's boxercise in the water. It's a good workout. :)

Pella--I forgot to mention After Hours. What a great voice that Ross Porter.

Anonymous said...

Music for me all the way. I like the news once in a while but I hate ppl talking on the radio. I just can't concentrate on driving.

Lady J said...

Good ole Canadian Broadcasting! I too grew up forced to listen to all those programs, mostly in the car on those long (too long!) road trips! So I have rebelled as an adult, now that I too own my own radio and car, and the closest I've come to tuning it in was for CBC Radio 2 when Harrison was a baby for that Mozart Effect they tell you is so important! Once in a while I'll listen to the french one, Radio Canada, but that's it! Well, now that he's old enough to have his own opinion, we both agree there just ain't enough country music on CBC for us! We're rednecks all the way baby!!! Yee-haw!

Anonymous said...

CBC has so much memories. Dad always told us we could choose the radio station but he had to choose the volume. We of course never got that option. Oh well, what are you going to do. I do like to listen to CBC 2 but not usually the talk one. Too much talk not enough music. I like my music too much.