
Happy New Year! We had a quiet get together with friends. We usually get together with this group at New Year's. Reflecting back on 2006 was a part of that, as I was given the letter I wrote to myself a year ago. We had many joys in 2006 and great sorrow. I am grateful for the year and that we are on the other side of it as well. Today I woke up and thought "It has been two months since our trip to the hospital." Two months. I did not imagine to be where I am right now: to be thinking about going back to work soon, to be looking forward to possibly making a trip in February, to be watching other babies grow and not our Gordon--
I did not even realize that our baby's name would be Gordon. And yet I am grateful. I am grateful for him and for his short life with me. I am so grateful for this Christmas, for the time I've had to hold Ivan and Dominique, to see my brother propose to Andrea, and to get over the flu! I'm grateful for my husband, family and friends. One of our close friends who we got to see for New Year's was recently in a bad accident in which her friend died. She too is walking through grief. One thing she makes sure that she says before ending a conversation are the words "I love you." As we left her parents' house we heard those three words before leaving. If there is one thing I know is that life is delicate.
Do not hold back on speaking these words.
4 comments:
Jenn I totally agree with your friend and saying those three little important words we unfortunately don't say enough. About 5 years ago one of my dear friends husband was losing his battle with cancer. I think he called everyone of his friends and told him good bye and that he loved us. None of us knew at that time that the time was near. I will never forget that moment. Since that time I have tried to always tell my family and friends "I love you" when we part. You never know if that might be the last opportunity you have to express this to them. God bless you.
Barbara.
So true....At any moment it could be the last time we get to say them to someone-As things happen in our lives to us or our friends and loved ones we realize how important it is to not forget those three words "I love you" Thank you for sharing your overview of your year Jennifer. I will continue to keep you & John in my prayers. Sharon
I totally understand what you mean. it's like I hear worship songs with new ears, hear teaching in a new light. life is precious. but even after all what we've been through, It;s still a choice to live life to the full. it's a crazy thing, our human nature, how easily we can go back to the "easy way of doing things" by taking things for granted. As I reflected on my past year, I thought back to when Caleb was in the hospital fighting his infection. I thought to myself that God would never choose now to take him home, becuase there's so many things that I wanted to do yet, so many things that were left undone....
but God, as gracious and merciful as he is, he is still moving in His timing, and unfortunately, we CAN miss the boat, if we choose.
I don't feel under condenmation about it, it's just an eye opener. That it's his will that none of us should perish, but he doesn't wait forever.
Does this make sense?
Life, a gift, but a concious choice everyday to choose Him, peace, and His ways.
Love you, and thanks for sharing your heart with us.
Happy new year!
Jenn,
For being a good friend to my sister Shannon....
For faithfully walking through this valley of grief....
For clinging to your memories of Gordon and still being thankful...
I love you.
your sister in grief and in Christ,
Rebecca
Post a Comment