
Last year at this time I posted about when I was first diagnosed--twenty years today. And as I have said before on this blog, I'm glad I cannot and could not see in advance. One person I was grateful for then was my mom. She had the difficult position of being a mom (with a child newly diagnosed with diabetes) and being a nurse. But she looked out for me and held me accountable for my health. Recently she was once again taking care of me as a mom and a nurse. John also found himself in the husband/nurse position. He is very good at it I must say. He too is good at keeping me accountable. It is not for some sort of approval now (the way I felt as a kid). I want to be well for myself and for the people I love. We have been inundated with love from people. Some of that came in the form of donations to the Canadian Diabetes Association. (The cards in the photo represents donations made in memory of Gordon.) For awhile I got cynical about a cure...when I was a kid I was told another five years, another ten years. I do want to be hopeful that research will make advances. For now I am grateful for life.
1 comment:
I can't even imagine how it must be as a kid (and even as an adult) to keep track of your food and insulin.
And this entry reminds me of my "fault" the first Christmas I sent you a package. I was so angry at myself for not thinking about your diabeties. I felt so horrible, like I insulted you because I usually think about things like that. (A friend of mine is vegetarian and when she comes to eat with us, like a BBQ, I have something for her.)
I hope that one day someone finds a cure. It would make many lives easier.
Post a Comment