Friday, February 02, 2007

open arms



Another day of work and more hugs! It was a good way to start back (at the end of the week). On the way home I was thinking about where I teach. I am grateful that I ended up where I did not plan to be. I planned to be teaching high school. While a part of me still thinks about that--because I did love my student teaching and my internship in high schools--these past two days are part of why I am grateful. Today as I tried to make my way through a hallway, I was approached by grade one students. I got most of their hugs three kids at a time as they walked to the lunch room. But one hug was different. This boy really took his time and stopped. He was left behind by the others. He hugged me for a long time. In the middle of the hug he said "I'm sorry that your baby died," and then he kept hugging me. I went into the staff room as he ran off to join the others saying, "Madame Wallace is back!" That's the closest I've been to tears being back at work...thanks to a little guy who really knows how to hug. We can learn a lot from kids. They've welcomed me back with open arms.

2 comments:

Monica said...

I'm so glad for you that work is going well. I was thinking of you the last couple of days. It sounds like you have some wonderful students! And as someone else commented, the welcome they gave you is an indication of what a wonderful teacher you must be!

Madame Angela Baggett said...

As we get older, we lose the honesty, the realness... I guess that's why Jesus said to be like children- he didn't shy away or dance around the issue, but addressed you in love as should we all. Thank you for sharing these moments with us. I know the kids and staff are seeing how you shine even as you sorrow.