Friday, February 23, 2007

Life Preserver: Prayer




I mentioned how difficult it is to pray right now. It is. I know He knows. I have always loved this verse and now more than ever:

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.
Romans 8: 25-26

I am so grateful for the Spirit's groans and the prayers of others right now. Early on I believed these prayers helped us sleep at night. I know that these prayers are continuing to do their work. A dear woman who has experienced this loss wrote to me. She explained how "hang[ing] on to the coat tails of [others] faith" knowing that those she loved were praying, helped her. Now she has offered her coat tails to me. What a gift!

Today I was reminded yet again why I love teaching. A mom of two of my students came and told me that her daughters still pray for me. She had told her girls to pray as God leads and that when you've prayed for someone that He has heard. She was letting them know that He had heard what they had prayed for Mme Wallace and it was okay if they needed to change focus. The girls looked at their mom and told her that they still needed to pray for me.

Losing Gordon will never be over for us and these prayers are so precious to me. I know I will not drown in this sorrow because of the life preservers people have sent me--two little girls included.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank-you Jenn, for continuing to share your journey with us. You continue to be in our prayers as well.

JC

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Apart from food, Ivan's prayers consistently contain three people and it's not us, they are: Big Buddy, Uncle John and Auntie Jenn. Sounds like a little chorus is going up for you. I'm glad. I don't often know what to say and my heart is so convoluted. Their's are pure and true.

Heather said...

Thank you for sharing the story of the girls. Doesn't Jesus say we are suppose to go to him with the innonence or heart of children - or something like that? So does that mean even our prayers at times should/can be like the simple prayers of children?

Janet said...

I love that story! Precious girls. I hope you know I pray for you and John as well. Mostly thanking him for your strong faith and asking him to continue to hold you close to Him. If there are ever specific things you would like us to pray for, please share. I would be honoured to spend time with God for you.