Saturday, December 02, 2006
One month
It has been one month since I delivered our beautiful baby Gordon. Sometimes I wonder where the time has gone. My body is still healing but much progress has been made--and what about the rest of me? Grief can be strange. I can be laughing one moment and the next sobbing. Almost anything triggers thoughts of Gordon: hearing his name in a commercial, listening to music, quiet moments in a conversation… At times my thoughts take me back, to my pregnancy, or to the recent past before and after not hearing his heartbeat. At times my thoughts take me forward to a future we won’t have with him: nursing him, witnessing his many firsts, wrestling and playing with my boy on the floor. And sometimes my thoughts take me to that peaceful place where he is now waiting for us. I ache because he is gone, because we won’t get to see who he might have become. I am grateful we got to hold Gordon. But the time we held him will never be enough. I have never ached for Heaven before like I do now. So much of the Bible was written as hearts cried out their sorrow to God. David knew this. Jesus knew this too; he wept. Those upbeat hymns about heaven—what are they really about? Will we be able to contain ourselves, our laughter and tears when we see those most precious to us? I know I won’t. I know there will be many reminders this Christmas that he is gone…the image of Mother and Child alone will remind me. And yet He is with us, and so is Gordon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Jenn, You are an amazing lady and we love you so much. Your blog is so meaningful to read. Thank you for blessing us with it. Chelsey reminded me yesterday that it was a month ago now that you lost Gordon. One month. How hearts have ached for the loss of your small boy. We continue to pray for you and John. LaWanda
I can't believe that it is already a month. It seems like yesterday, but you know that yourself.
Times fly by so quick and it always makes me so sad when people leave. Not just those who leave us forever but also those we became friends with and now go back to their home.
In the beginning you just enjoy their company but when it comes to the end of the journey, whichever that might be, you cherish every single moment and it makes my heart heavy.
As I said on my blog. One day we see them hopefully again and then we might never part.
John and Jennifer Thankyou for sharing with us your feelings of this past month. Yes, griefing is strange. I don't believe I REALLY UNDERSTOOD griefing until my mom's passing. You described it so well how things affect you. It took me 6 months to get over those impulse emotions--I know it was because of the time I spent with my mom in the 'care-giver' years she was in Saskatoon. I can't imagine how it would affect me if it was Bob or one of my son's, daughter's-in-law or one of my grandchildren--but I understand people's griefing much better because of my experience with my mom. I hurt for you and John and for your mom's and dad's and your immediate family members. Griefing is REAL and there is no way of doing it but to go through it one day at a time. We love you, Sharon (&Bob)
A song to mark the day ... by Mercy Me ... maybe you know it ... but it has carried me through many a moment of tears ...
Homesick
Your in a better place, I've heard a thousand times
And at least a thousand times I've rejoiced for you
But the reason why I'm broken, the reason why I cry Is I long ...
Yes I wait to be with you
I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is
Then I'm out of place
Lord won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now ...
Help me Lord 'cause I don't understand your ways
The reason why, I wonder if I'll ever know
But even if you show'd me the hurt would be the same
Cause I'm still here, so far away from home
I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is, then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now
In Christ there are no goodbyes
In Christ there is no end
So I'll hold on to Jesus with all that I have
To see you again ... to see you again
I close my eyes & I see your face
If home's where my heart is
Then I'm out of place
Lord won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
Won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
Won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick ... than now
Couldn't help but think of this song when I read your post ... I hurt for you ... remembering after I delivered my first child, a daughter, literally feeling sadness that my tummy was so empty ... although I had her to hold, I missed the intimacy that existed in her being in that secret place prior to her birth ... that only she and I experienced (and you and sweet Gordon) ... and now for you to have empty arms ... well ... there is not much that can compare to the depth of sadness that this loss brings.
Shall continue to bring you to His throne in our prayers ...
Charlotte
(S.Current)
I want you to know how much we appreciate you sharing your thoughts and feelings with us as you go through this. You really do amaze me, and both challenge and inspire me as I see your response to your grief. We still are praying for you.
hi jenn,
i'm sending you and john some big hugs from california as i'm sure all your friends are.
oh if i could only give you a hug that would take all the pain away.
love, rhian
Ahhhhhh, yes.......the longing for heaven, Jenn. That is such a powerful feeling. It's an aching, beautiful, powerful feeling. I'm still thinking of and praying for you.
Longing too,
Rebecca McMillan
Our tears may dry for a day or some day for a month, our laughter may resound, but our hearts will always miss and cling to our little Gordon. It will truly be a delight to know him some day. It's crazy how time continues even as we tread more carefully.
I am still thinking of you EVEYDAY Jenn and John. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with all of us
TZ J'nea
Post a Comment