Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Angels among us

"Angels among us"(Becky Hobbs)

Chorus
Oh I believe there are angels among us.
Sent down to us from somewhere up above.
They come to you and me in our darkest hours.
To show us how to live, to teach us how to give.
To guide us with a light of love.



I am blown away by the kindnesses people have shown us. Yesterday, our neighbour snowploughed our driveway and sidewalk. It was another thoughtful and selfless act that brought us some ease. We have had cards, flowers, meals, gift certificates and comforting gifts: a teddy bear, a Precious Moments "Safe in Arms of Jesus" figure, bath soaps and lotion, poems, books on grieving, a prayer shawl (blessed by a church), and a soft blanket. People have also made donations to the Canadian Diabetes Association in his memory. One person even donated blood in Gordon’s honour. I want to give special mention here to show how love can be shown in many creative ways.
I have two co-workers who are currently on maternity leave, Keri and Sarah. On their first visit, (a couple of weeks ago?), they stopped by with food for John and me. On the second, they brought drinks from Starbucks (yes sugar-free for me) and a very unique gift: they adopted a star in memory of Gordon. Along with a certificate, we also have maps that help us look into the sky during any month, (we have an observatory in our city) and think about our special star. Today these two women, themselves were my special gift. They came and cleaned, while I watched a movie, drank some pop and ate popcorn (which they brought for us.) For three hours they worked in my house while their in-laws took care of their little ones. It was amazing to come upstairs and see the transformation! It was such a thoughtful and precious gift. It feels so good to just sit and be in the living room, to open the fridge or microwave, to go into the bathroom and see the difference. If you are ever in the position to give to someone in this way you will truly bless that individual or family. I certainly feel blessed.










One thing that Keri and Sarah did was to take care/ get rid of flowers that are now dead. This was not a job I wanted to do. Did I want to salvage them in memory of Gordon? To me they didn’t look like much to save. Keri went to work. We now have a vase full of beautiful delicate flowers that have died. She and Sarah noticed something and pointed out to me that some flowers never did bloom, they remained buds. How much that feels like our short time with Gordon. I later showed this to Pella and she showed me the verses in Habakkuk 3:17-19.





God is good. He is providing us with comfort we could not have imagined. He has put people in our lives who are taking care of us. Prayers have been offered up for us, so many that I truly believe that if prayers were like the snow right now our home and our yard would be well-covered…blanketed. He is giving us peace.

5 comments:

Janet said...

Ahh!! I am so thankful to know you have so many people surrounding you and showing you wonderful acts of kindness and love! Sending you my love also this morning as I pray for you and John today.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I am so glad that so many have shown you their love and concern in so many ways. I know that none of this can undo what has happened, but it is beautiful and so precious that we all share in this to some degree and that good can come of it. Ecclesiastes has a good verse too that God has made everything beautiful in its time and that he has set eternity in our hearts. We will rise again, both in this life, through this love we share for you and for Gordon and in eternity.

Anonymous said...

Jenn you ard John have been blessed with the many that surround you with love and kindness. I feel you contain this wonderful spirit also. I know how anxious Angela is to be with you and wrap you in her arms. Sisters are wonderful God bless you.

Laurie said...

So nice to hear you have such caring friends around you....and that you were able to let them pamper you!!

Continuously thinking of you and praying for you!

Laurie B.

Anonymous said...

As everyone said, it is wonderful that you have so many people around you to help you and to support you. It's good to know that there are people out there, all over the world, who are your friends and who think of you and pray for you. And those, who are close to your home, can help you and if it's just a meal they cook or send some flowers...

May your sould and body heal soon.
Love