It is strange. John and I put together a cd "Love Songs for Baby" the night before I was to go into the hospital. The cd could be played while I was in labour. I was really wanting to find our copy of "We've been waiting for you," by Carolyn Arends. I was so happy when John found it. I'm not sure why I wanted the song "How do I keep From Singing" by Enya. It was sad and haunting but lovely and hopeful...I wanted it there and John agreed. Little did we know: the songs were ready for something else and would help us through dark hours. We played them both at the funeral service we held for Gordon in the hospital. They are truly beautiful. If you get the opportunity to listen to them--do.
"We've been Waiting For You" Carolyn Arends
Let me hold you close, I know you're frightened
Go ahead and cry, I understand
You were safe and you were warm
And then suddenly without a warning
Things began to change
It must have seemed so strange
To all at once be traveling a journey
All the way to this delivery room
But, baby, you are not alone
Your room is ready, let's go home
You're gonna like it here
Let me make it clear that
We've been waiting for you
We're so glad you came
We've been looking forward
To showing you the place
There's so much in store and
We've been waiting for you
I know it can take some getting used to
But this old world is where you're meant to be
Life is something not to miss
The taste of ice cream, your first kiss
And when love takes your hand
You will understand why
We've been waiting for you
We're so glad you came
We've been looking forward
To showing you the place
There's so much in store and
We've been waiting for you
And watching you come into this world
Baby, you've made me believe
Another journey awaits us
So when I have to leave
I am pretty sure that I'll be frightened
But even if I cry, please understand
I will know I'm not alone
When my room is ready I'll go home
And when I reach the gate
I'm going to hear them saying
We've been waiting for you
We're so glad you came
We've been looking forward
To showing you the place
There's so much in store and
We've been waiting for you
“How Can I Keep from Singing?” Enya
MP3
My life goes on in endless song
Above earths lamentations,
I hear the real, though far-off hymn
That hails a new creation.
Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear its music ringing,
It sounds an echo in my soul.
How can I keep from singing?
While though the tempest loudly roars,
I hear the truth, it liveth.
And though the darkness round me close,
Songs in the night it giveth.
No storm can shake my inmost calm,
While to that rock Im clinging.
Since love is lord of heaven and earth
How can I keep from singing?
When tyrants tremble in their fear
And hear their death knell ringing,
When friends rejoice both far and near
How can I keep from singing?
In prison cell and dungeon vile
Our thoughts to them are winging,
When friends by shame are undefiled
How can I keep from singing?
Wednesday, November 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow - those are amazing lyrics. I'll try and listen to them tonight. Blessings, love and lots of prayers to you guys.
Jenn
Thanks for sharing those lyrics. Beautiful!
One song I listened to a lot when we lost Steve's dad was "Something Beautiful" by Great Big Sea (I am sure you know it!!) Maybe not all the lyrics pertain to your grief, but the chorus is very nice! We continue to pray and think of you, John, and Gordon often. Take care!
JC
I am looking into the songs right now. But I know that songs can always do something. They heal, they cheer us up, the support our anger sometimes (so we can finally calm down)...music is one of the greatest invention of mankind.
Post a Comment