Saturday, November 25, 2006

Superpowers


As the wife of a self-proclaimed geek it is good for me to be able to discuss topics like, "If you could have a superpower what would you choose?" It also seems like a nice break from life right now. So as were contemplating superpowers I came up with up one, although it has probably been done before, the ability to interpret and understand any language--coded or not. (And yet there is a reason the Tower of Babel didn't get finished.) Time travel, (the ability to go back and forth and possibly change events), has come up in the discussions as well. Ah yes. What I would give.

It is so key that I don't spend to much time dwelling on this. This could be so destructive. Wouldn't it be good to save the world from certain painful events? Wouldn't it be good to be able to save ourselves from the hurt of losing Gordon? I have said it before that there is a reason we cannot see the future, just as there is a reason why we can't change the past. I would love to go back, so I could have my son here and now...to hold him and feed him. I would do it if I could. But the love that I have come to know, the compassion from the parents of Rose, Avery, Nathan, Rachel... and names unknown...I would not have experienced. I would not have experienced the love and covering of prayers that I have received from our families, our church, our coworkers, our friends, and friends of friends. I would not have received the compassion that I did from the men and women who saw us through that difficult delivery in the hospital. I would not have felt how powerful our marriage vows can truly be.

Without painful events in the world we wouldn't know the likes of Corrie Ten Boom, Mother Theresa, Martin Luther King Jr.... We wouldn't seek God in our darkest hours. His own son--powerful beyond what we can imagine--would not have come.

And still I would trade? Oh yes. Human. And yet there are greater powers that are available: peace that passes understanding, the ability to forgive, profound joy, faith, hope and love.

Jeremiah 29:11-14a "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer and John you continue to be such an encouragement. We love you both. Daily thoughts and prayers are offered up for you and your family.
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Jenn & John ...

I know from experiencing loss on the other end of the journey of this life ... losing a father and then 4 months later, the sweetest mom-in law one would ever know, that soon after, life is 'supposed' to get back to normal, and maybe in the blog world that takes the form of the comments decreasing in frequency ...

just wanted to let you know tho, that many many are still covering you in prayer and concern, and that you continue to be such an awesome example to tons of people, friends and strangers alike ...

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

Sincerely,
Charlotte Peters
Swift Current

Bonnie said...

Yes I agree with Char (and others!)...you are still held so close in my thoughts and prayers - every day, Jenn & John.
With love, Bonnie

Anonymous said...

You have such an amazing heart Jenn. I hope that I can be a help to you during the next few months.

Anonymous said...

I was watching X-Men 3 last night and I thought about this post. Wouldn't it be amazing to have such supernatural powers? Truning back time, look into the future... it would prepare us or we could change it.

But we are only humans. However, we have great gifts that are better then any super power: we have the gift of imagine, of love, of forgiving and much more.

And I can see all that in you both and it is wonderful to know you.

Love
Andrea