


There is a reason why 1 Corinthians 13 is often quoted at weddings. It was read at
our wedding. "And these three remain: Faith, Hope and Love, but the greatest of these is love." This is pretty much how I feel of what remains for me in our home: Faith in a loving God, Hope that we will have a family (Gordon being the firstborn who I will see again), and Love for and from my husband(a love, that God has shown us, is strong and powerful).
We have experienced loss--one that will forever affect us. But after Gordon's death the greater loss and the greater tragedy would be losing these three things: Faith, Hope and Love. I don't want to imagine how tragic that would be and how lost we would be.
The other passage we had at our wedding was one from William Shakespeare:
Let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediment.
Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds
Or bends with the remover to remove
O, no! It is an ever fixed mark which looks on tempests and is never shaken
A star to every wand'ring bark, whose worth's unknown
Though his height be taken
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass comes
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks
But bears it out even unto the edge of doom
If this be error and upon me proved
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.
William Shakespeare
John and I are far from the years it takes to look at our marriage and say that we have the secret to a long/everlasting bond. But I know that faith, hope and love will help us through the days, months and years ahead. We can look on tempests and know that the captain of our bark is in control.
5 comments:
"We have experienced loss--one that will forever affect us.... the greater loss and the greater tragedy would be losing these three things: Faith, Hope and Love. I don't want to imagine how tragic that would be and how lost we would be."
Needed these words today...
I hope I can allow them to give me the kick in the butt I need, so that I can recieve God's comfort.
Am encouraged to see you guys lean on the Lord, and turn to the source of the true medicine that will heal these wounds.
Thank you Jenn. One day we won't need the faith, we'll see Him face to face and we won't need the hope, everything we'd ever hoped for will be there with us. And surrounding us will be love that lasts forever. The love of nine months that became the love of a lifetime and will continue and grow on into eternity. We are just dust, but what is growing in us, through this hope and faith that sustain us, is for always. That just dawned on me as I read what you had written. Thank you so much for sharing. I love you so very much. See you soon ;)
"And these three remain: Faith, Hope and Love, but the greatest of these is love." This is pretty much how I feel of what remains for me in our home: Faith in a loving God, Hope that we will have a family (Gordon being the firstborn who I will see again), and Love for and from my husband(a love, that God has shown us, is strong and powerful).
Jenn and John, you are blessed above all others. Although you are experiencing a great loss, what remains is more than most people ever experience.
I am humbled by your faith as you progress through your grief.
Thank you for sharing your journey with us.
I love you!
You are a most wonderful couple. Thanks again and again for sharing such soul-searching messages for us all.I Corinthians 13 is a great passsage to read often and apply to our daily lives.
Love to you both, Sharon
I just spent some time looking at your wedding photos....you were a beautiful bride!
So neat, I went to highschool with your sis in law.
Post a Comment