Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Goodbye Aunt Laveena




We said a farewell to Aunt Laveena on Thanksgiving Monday. And it was a day to be thankful. We were reunited with family as we shared memories and stories and made new ones. I am grateful for the day. Rhian did a beautiful slide presentation that reminded us all of Aunt Laveena's smile and her spark. We heard moving and loving tributes. Trina, Sion's wife, sang Amazing Grace, to which we all joined in on the last verse. There is something about music that always gets me. But it was Uncle Jess who had me in tears last, as we said goodbye. He almost "channeled" Uncle Cecil (who stayed back in respite care at Midale) as he spoke of Lavine Bailey and how Laveena too was up in heaven arguing for her man. I'll leave you with a poem I read at the memorial service.

Laveena Ann
Possessed a physical presence—
Reminding me of a beloved character, with her:
Fiery red hair
Beautiful freckles
Short stature
Warm hugs

Her brothers around her,
She commanded her position—
Big Sister who filled a room with:
Good natured teasing
Rich laughter
Story telling
Strong character

In her work
There was no question—
She was a nurse and an educator who:
Filled needs
Served others
Loved, comforted
And knew just how you wanted to be treated

With her husband and her children
She was a wife, a mother, a mediator who loved by giving:
Her time
Her strengths
Her patient listening
Herself

I missed not knowing her better
My Aunt Laveena Ann
Yet she gave me some of my grandmother
A strong
Gentle soul
Who knew suffering
And lived through it with grace

Laveena Ann
You still command a presence here
And we will keep you close:
In our hearts
Our memories
Our smiles
Our tears

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also wanted to say how good your poem is. It summed everything up really good.
Amber

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for your family to loose such a good person. I just met her for a very short time at you wedding but I like her right away although we didn't got to know each other too well.

armacleod said...

Just looking at the poem and reading your summary of what happened almost has me in tears again. Laveena will be missed.