Saturday, January 28, 2006

19 years...


My mom was the first to notice that something was wrong with me: thirstiness, tiredness, needing to go to the bathroom and weight loss. She actually tested me at home before making the appointment with the doctor. On January 19th, 1987 I was told to go home, have a nice dinner and to meet my doctor that night back at the hospital. That day forever changed my life and essentially saved my life. That day I was diagnosed: I began consciously living with diabetes and taking insulin. I am so grateful for a keen and watchful mother. 19 years--it is a bittersweet anniversary. Although it has been a marker to say that my life had changed, I've rarely looked at it as a day my life was saved. I am so grateful for LIFE.

3 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

wow has it been that long? You are so OLD ! (Ivan is typing his thoughts, mostly space bar) Oh, oh, that bmea ns I'm older huh? I'm sorry you've had to take this way in life and I've never looked at it from that perspective either, but I am so glad for lall the years, for your life and
I know diabetes has also made you a stronger, more confident and assertive person (in one of those twists of life).

Kimberley said...

Ange is right. You are old! I remember when you were in the hospital. That could not have been 19 years ago! I remember that I came to visit you. Ange walked in holding a baby (who belonged to a friend of the family). I believe her name is Minnie Anne. If that was 19 years ago, then Minnie Anne would be 19! How can I remember so much detail after 19 years? You'd better double check your math. I'm sure that Ange would agree that it really only feels like about 5 years ago!

Seriously, I admire that you are willing to share your experiences with others. I also remember you speaking in front of the entire school about your diabetes.

jenn with two n's said...

Kimberley, you are awesome at remembering details! Wow! Of course we all have things that stick out and stay with us. (If I didn't thank you then, thank you for visiting me.) I probably was in my own little world...
We are all getting older. What I don't like about getting older: seeing my parents and relatives losing the strength they had. What I love about getting older: learning new things I can only grasp now, the joys of making decisions and creating a home. I also like looking back on 19 years and seeing my diagnosis differently. Rather than thinking, "that was a crappy event," I am only realizing fully as I put it in words of an adult now--it was an great event.