Tuesday, December 27, 2005

December 25th


We came to share in a beautiful worship service. We sang carols and had the privilege of sitting at the front. It was wonderful to hear the harmonies and even better to listen to the words. A choral reading centered our thoughts on the need for a saviour and how sin entered the world. It then came time to hear from Mary:


He’s here. You’re here. Thank you for choosing me. I never would have chosen myself but you did. There’s so much I don’t know. He is just a baby and I need to care for him, watch over him and raise him. He’ll have questions. Everyone I know already has questions about him. But I am your servant and he is—my son, YOUR son. (picking him up)

(looking at the baby) The day when the angel came and told me about you…I was scared but I believed what he said. I just did not know how it would all come about: no clean linen, no crib and no midwife. But you don’t mind. Here you are, in Bethlehem, in a stable--with all this; it is all yours. I did not expect any guests tonight but I’m learning about heavenly surprises. Those shepherds—they were so excited. They said that they’re going to tell everyone about your arrival. Imagine!

(speaking to God) Thank you for showing your mercy on me. Thank you for honouring me. You are Lord—how did I become so blessed? You know all there is to know about me and you have given him to me. I am just a girl and now his mother—I am yours. (now to the baby) I’ll give you all I can give you. I will love you with all I have. I will feed you and clothe you. I will keep you warm. I will hear your cries in the night. I will tell your story.

You are so peaceful. Tiny perfection. This place, this world is far from perfect. But the Lord saves. God is with us. My Jesus—My Immanuel. You’re here.

I felt honoured to be able to play Mary and write out her words. The script was based on the book of Luke. I also had help from doing readings from other monologues and scripts specifically this script.

The line, "No clean linen, no crib, no midwife" came from there. Following Mary's thoughts we listened to the song: "Mary did you Know?" What a perfect song for the season. Bernard then narrated a story on Shaddai. Candle light helped illustrate how light came into our world.



It was a perfect way to celebrate and begin our Christmas day.
Every child is a gift from God. When we feed and clothe other people we are serving God. "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." (Matthew 25:35, 36 & 40)
"Mary Did You Know?" by Mark Lowry and Buddy Greene © 1991 Word Music/Rufus Music/ascap

Find the lyrics to "Mary Did You Know"









No comments: