Wednesday, December 28, 2005
A Day Trip
Lately we've been watching Corner Gas. (John just got the first and second seasons for Christmas). The first episodes still make us laugh out loud; the show revels in Saskatchewan, taking pride in the topographical flatness of it all. I have always loved being from here. That is not to say I don't enjoy traveling elsewhere--I think more people should see the world. But Saskatchewan is definitely special. There is much to see: I still haven't been to the Athabasca SandDunes or Nistowiak Falls. I love going to northern Saskatchewan lakes to canoe and take in sights that are not well-known to most. For John it is a bit of a homecoming, having lived in Laronge for his early childhood years. I agree that the landscape can be flat in parts but that in itself gives a sense of the openess--the Land of the Living skies, an apt description on our license plate. So John and I are going for a day trip to Moose Jaw. (My brother-in-law from Texas loves that name.) We'll take in a tunnel tour, visit a local restaurant, go to the mineral spa. Having been to many places, I always like coming home to Saskatchewan. I will continue to be a tourist in my own province and city, knowing that I have it pretty good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Corner Gas - I saw ONE episode and fell in love. Actually...I felt that MY idea was stolen. But I planned to write a humorous novel about a guy n Sask...and it probably wouldn't be as funny as CG
Hey Andrea,
I think it would be wonderful for you to see even more of our province. But of course, Andrew needs to see your world! I'm so glad he is going for a visit in March. He truly is looking forward to it. He'll get a taste of Germany and he'll have a holiday.
Love Jenn
Hey B,
I often think of how you would appreciate watching the show with us. I like hearing your views on SK because it's from a different perspective. (Yet it is one that has a strong tie of love as well.) John likes to joke about his outsider knowledge to WCC and to our church. He challenges and refreshes me,seeing both the strengths and weaknesses--hard to do sometimes as a born-insider.
Thanks for the comments!
Post a Comment