Sunday, April 22, 2007

An old friend


I ran into someone who I've known for a long time but haven't seen in a few years--Albert--just outside a Burger King. (I used to see him almost every Friday night at the Sally Ann coffee house along with many others. He was always good at telling stories.) We had a really good visit. I found out that his long time friend, Warren died a couple years ago. Warren couldn't see much and Albert would give him rides everywhere. Now Albert doesn't have a license anymore. He introduced me to another friend that he met at the Burger King. We talked for quite awhile. I got caught up on his life. He remembered my family and I told him about everyone. He even asked about what belt I had now in judo. He got caught up on my life in the last few years too. As I was ready to leave (get a prescription filled and head home to figure out supper) Albert told me he needed a ride home to get his glasses and then back to the restaurant for his scooter so he could go to a writers' reading night that evening. He had left his glasses in his apartment and his bus driver didn't let him go back for them. There I was in a hurry to go and Albert was working his old charm on me. The thing is--I didn't really need to be in a hurry at all. What was the big deal--going out of the way for this old friend? I wasn't being much of a friend at all. Anyways somewhat guiltily I gave him the ride and while he was in his apartment, he brought me out two gifts: a ring and a photo of himself. (He was always giving me things back in the day). He told me how I had been a good friend and how much he appreciated me. He also told me that he thought I had felt sorry for him all those years ago because I met him at the Salvation Army. I assured him--I couldn't feel sorry for him. He always had a good story to tell and he was always giving away things and taking care of his friends. No, I needn't worry or feel sorry for Albert. He still has some things to teach me. I shook his hand and we parted, he left saying, "I hope we meet up again." I hope so too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool! He sounds like an interesting man!

Madame Angela Baggett said...

It never ceases to amaze me how generous some people are, often people with far, far less than all the stuff I cling to, when I find it so hard to give and share. The Lover comes in all shapes and sizes-- some we would hardly suspect. Thanks for sharing. I seem to remember an Albert, but the picture didn't look familiar. So long ago.

Janet said...

What a great story! Thanks for sharing! Love you and your big heart so much!

Lady J said...

That was definately a "feel good" story, and it must have made you feel good to see him again. He sounds like a good friend....and I already know how good of a friend you are! I hope you do see him again. He sounds like a man of amazing spirit.

What Ange says about people with less being more willing to share is so true. There is an older lady that lives in the basement here and doesn't have much, and spends all of her time alone...so I cook supper for her, invite her in and give her money when I can afford it, although it's not much. I do what I can and hope it's enough to make a difference to her. What goes around comes around...karma!