Sunday, April 15, 2007

I've got a mansion...




Pella and I had a wonderful walk. And it was hot. I ended up taking off my fleece and walking in my t-shirt. It was refreshing to be outside. We then went looking at some open houses and show homes. I thought seeing these places might awaken in me the desire to have more--thankfully it did not. It almost did the opposite--a t.v. and cappucino maker in the bathroom really? While I enjoyed our time together looking, it reminded me just how much John and I have (which is more than we need) and how thankful I am for our home. Perhaps it was because they were show homes and not where people lived with their own personal touches, but some of these houses felt almost oppressive. Where would be the adventure and that 'special treat' feeling of taking a trip to the movies or going on a vacation if that is all part of your house? Would anything ever be good enough? Would everything pale in comparison?

Yes, I realize that we will be making improvements to our house--changing the fence and replacing the door and patio doors in the back... In some ways the fact that there will always be work to do reminds me this is not as good as it gets. I am glad that our house is not perfect. Yet, our needs are more than taken care of. We have a safe and peaceful place to be together.

I am very content and must remind myself that I am. I cannot say like Paul--"I know what it is to be in need." Philippians 4:12
I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.


I don't know what is to be in need, because my needs have always been met. I try to live in thanks realizing, (like Sheryl Crow), "it's not getting what you want, but wanting what you've got." But I have also experienced that sense of discontent, this isn't IT! There is better; after all "who hopes for what he already has?" (Romans) and "a man's reach should exceed his grasp--or what's a heaven for?" (Browning) I guess I know that the want in my life cannot be filled with a house full of stuff or even the best of relationships here. And so I wait with a grateful heart knowing that he has prepared a place for me. I've got a mansion just over the hilltops in that bright land where we'll never grow old....This world is not my home I'm just a passin' through

2 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Just watched Anne who would take her string of pearls from Matthew over any of those ladies' diamonds. And who told Gilbert that she had been looking for something in other places when all she had wanted was right there for her. Sometimes it takes special eyes to see that it is not necessarily greener on the other side.

Anonymous said...

Those are 2 of my favorite hymns Jenn.