

Yesterday was the day of appointments. I met with my obstetrician, Dr. Martel, first. That went quite well. She asked me about my blood sugars and then measured my belly and found the baby’s heartbeat. I also get weighed and my blood pressure done there. All was perfect and the baby "happy." I also asked her about the fetal echo test that will be done Aug. 24th. That is an ultrasound—just more in depth and focused on the baby’s heartbeat!
After that appointment I came home to get Yoyo off to her classes and then met up with Susan for what turned out to be a long walk. We concluded that strolls might be more my speed. Near the end of the hour and fifteen minutes, Susan ran back to the Wallace house to get a car while I waited on a bench. What was funny was when she came back Jim was with her. I think they were concerned if I wasn’t able to get back to the car on my own. I’m glad we didn’t have to figure out that scenario. I put a sandwich together at the house, lay down for a bit and then off to my next appointment at the pregnancy clinic.
This clinic is designed especially for expectant mothers who have diabetes. I go every two weeks. The idea is to meet with a nurse educator, dietician and endocrinologist. (There are no endocrinologists in Saskatoon anymore, so normally Dr. Pederson from Calgary comes in. But, Dr. Pederson was off on vacation so I saw an internist. My dietician was also off on holidays. ) This appointment went well too. The nurse educator took my weight (down perhaps .5 kg from the morning although different types of scales), and she and I decided the next move regarding insulin. The internist, (I think Dr. Basi?) took my blood pressure again and said it was perfect 108/70; "It couldn’t be more perfect," he said. I also assured him I would be going in for my thyroid test this week and haemoglobin A1C test. He smiled and said "I’m not sure why I’m even here. You seem to have it all under control. If you need me anytime please let me know." I know I need to be healthy for me and baby but hearing from professionals that I’m doing well was reassuring! That lets me know that I’m doing all I can for baby. After supper last night I headed to Aquamotion I for my bi-weekly class. I was tired when I got home, but it was a good tired.
2 comments:
Yeah!!! I'm glad everything went so well and that you received the assurance to keep it up as you are. I am so happy for you and baby and also knowing that everything is going well. You are so going to love holding that baby. I am enjoying my two all the time and it constantly blows me away! They are just incredible. I read a scripture while nearing labor that said children are a reward from God. Cool huh? I'm not sure what I've done good to receive such incredible blessings, but it is a most beautiful gift- parenthood.
I got this on a website explaining what a fetal echo is. My doctor odered one not because of concern but rather because of my diabetes.
"Early detection means better outcomes. During your pregnancy, if your obstetrician (OB/GYN) suspects a problem with your baby's heart, you may be referred to a pediatric cardiologist for a fetal echocardiogram (fetal echo). This safe, noninvasive ultrasound is used to assess the structure and function of an unborn baby's heart.
While the expectant mother lies flat, warm ultrasound gel is applied to her abdomen and a small probe is placed in contact with the gel. Using sound waves, images of the unborn baby's heart are generated on a computer screen for analysis. The images are stored electronically for review. The procedure usually takes about 30 to 45 minutes."
Post a Comment