Monday, February 13, 2006

Sound bytes--something to chew on

Am I a good listener? I like to think I am. Yet, recently I've been challenged to truly see with my eyes and listen with my ears and not be quick to always have an answer.

"There are thousands of toastmasters...but no listen-masters." This got me today. I love to talk and hear my own voice.

Lately in the chaos of our world it is easy to ask: Where is God in this?!
"Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks...but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper." 1 Kings 19:11-12

I love the story of Elisha and his servant. The servant was worried when he saw there was an army with horses and chariots surrounding the city, and he asked Elisha: "What shall we do?" The answer: "Don't be afraid. Those who are with us are more than those who are with them. And Elisha prayed, "O Lord, open his eyes so he may see." 'And he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.'

There is a world of activity going on for those of us with ears to hear and eyes to see. When we "sense" something we call it intuition. I think it is intervention with divinity in it. I just have to start listening more.

"Ears that hear and eyes that see--the Lord has made them both." Proverbs 20:12 (There are so many proverbs about ears, eyes and the heart!)

1 comment:

GMS said...

Love your insight!!
Appreciate your reference to Ray. He does try to listen without anticipating an answer.
Good to visit your site.