Tuesday, February 21, 2006

His Workmanship



I had a wonderful weekend with women of faith at a retreat. The weekend was focused on the theme, "We are his workmanship" based on the verse in Ephesians 2:10. I wrote a poem for a coffee house we had Saturday night and I decided to post it here. I couldn't help but think of Sagrada Familia: a cathedral I visited in 1999 in Barcelona. It is still under construction, long after the death its architect.

(Under Construction)


Time passed, candlelight would fade
Passion drove the artists to paint, to create
Frescoes, ceilings, sculptures, cathedrals
But only shadows, images of what hearts know

Many began works they would not live to finish
Others carried it on and they did this
All this--to honour You


The Master Creator, the Greatest of Greats
Creator of talents, of beauty, of taste
And I am your workmanship
Your sculpture, your David
"Your eyes saw my unformed body" and framed it
Ah but you are still shaping, still molding, still making
You are not done with this piece you're creating

And this--all this--
This is all you
What you would have me do
What you would have me do.

(Photos seen here of Sagrada Familia were found on a Google search).

3 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

beautiful, thank you for sharing it, and bring it on! I'd love to hear more. BTW, I answered your comment on pink in the comments on my blog ;) I never go back and look to see if someone answered, do you?

jenn with two n's said...

Yep I do! Thanks Ange love ya...I'll get that itinerary to you.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I like your updated profile with picture. Is Jenn with two "n"s like Anne with an "e" ? ha, ha