Tonight I held my newborn son and listened to her sing
The song I meant for you to hear as your welcoming
Instead it was the goodbye song to our boy we never knew
How we longed to say the words "We've been waiting for you"
I weep knowing that you missed
Your "first ice cream your first kiss"
How much I wanted you here
God, how I wanted you here.
But I told her how that last verse helped me through my tears
How is it even possible that it's already been four years?
I am so grateful for my girl and now for my boy
Who will get to feel life's pains and its joys
And when my day comes
I know it will come
I won't have to be afraid
I know the room will be ready
And I'll listen to hear You say
"We've been waiting for you,
We're so glad you came.
We've been looking forward to
showing you the place
There's so much in store and we've been waiting for you."
*I got a chance to speak with Carolyn after the concert tonight and shared a little about Gordon. She also got to see Isaac and Immy both, although they were sleeping at this point. She hadn't sung that song in concert in a long time and wasn't sure she as going to sing it tonight. I am glad she did. It was a full circle moment for me. It was good to weep and be on the other side of grief too while she sang. It was good to look at my sleeping baby and sing along about what life has in store. I highly recommend Carolyn's music. It was good for the soul four years ago and it is good for me now.
Saturday, November 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment