Saturday, December 06, 2008

The Heat is On...


Well we have much to be thankful for: a warm house that is still standing, wonderful family, wonderful friends--some who prevent impending danger from entering our lives...

Awhile ago the pilot light went out on the furnace. It was pretty cold in the house and I should have noticed. John was able to relight it after some work. We had already decided that we were going to get a new furnace and had an EnerGuide evaluation done. Soooo...We have been just waiting for our good friend and plumber to be available. Well it turns out our good friend the plumber Rob, ended up doing a quick service call sooner than we expected.

Wednesday night I was explaining to him that our furnace had been making loud popping noises. At first they sounded like just metal expanding. In the past week it was increasingly louder--gunshot/explosive sounds. The other day a photograph fell off the bathroom wall, next to the furnace, right after one of these loud pops. It was at this point that, Rob's eyebrows raised. (I told John this earlier that day and he also thought this was not good). I relayed this story to my dad and he too looked quite concerned and mentioned that if SaskPower heard about it...well let's just say we'd be finding heat from another source immediately. That evening as we drove home I was relieved to see no firetrucks and our house still there. :) Rob had planned to come over the next night but instead we got a phone call. "Can I come over tonight?" He would feel much better and would be able to sleep better--I said that so would we. It wasn't too difficult a fix...one of the burners was tilted. John could explain it better. But it was a dangerous situation. Gas had been building up before ignition. Thankfully all is well and we should be on the way to a new furnace quite soon. I called my dad to let him know so that he could also rest easier.

So I'm quite thankful this season. We live in a warm home and I am surrounded by people I love. Who could ask for more?

*the photo is not our old furnace--an exaggeration but I thought it fitting from www.johncolemanempire.com

3 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

wow- glad you are ok!!

Janet said...

that's crazy! Thanks Rob!!

Ian said...

It will be nice to have a new furnace.