

Lately there has been much talk and rolling of the eyes when the topic of parliament and politics comes up. Many are disgusted by all of what is going on. I have to admit...I think it is kind of wonderful. Here were are in a minority government. Things are not working out. The Prime Minister decides to prorogue parliament for a time out rather than allow a non-confidence vote that would usher in a coalition government. (Both moves, the proroguing of parliament, and the coalition are constitutionally fine.)
So things aren't working? Democracy challenged? Things are working beautifully! Democracy works. We are in a minority gov't situation. Why? Many people didn't care enough to vote. Perhaps minority means people want all sides to work together and negotiate. Whatever the case, it seems like there has been far more interest and attention paid to what is happening now than the election itself. We should care what is going on.
I think it is wonderful that there can be this kind of diversity in the House of Commons and disagreement and our country still enjoys stability and peace. A military coup would be unimaginable. Outbreaks of violence unheard of. Sure there has been unparliamentary language...but I love that all this has shown that there can be fundamental disagreement and we still are ok. Could we envision the same for many other countries? I love that people are excited and passionate about this. I love that Michaelle Jean had some constitutional work to do in her official role here at home. Oh...Canada I love living in this country.
6 comments:
had a fascinating conversation with Mamie's husband about worldwide politics. He said that the US showed spiritual maturity in this last election (which I thought it was anything but mature). He said that the fact that an "African" man was elected blew his mind, that even having a hint of different ancestry would never occur in Africa. He said they vote solely by race and not by what would be good for their nation.
I have to wage in on this one.All these years Canadian politics have been "hum-drum" and now there is excitement in the country.Even British University students are interested. Only in Canada!
I do think the American people have come to maturity for sure.They now have a man with insight never mind his color or his party. Just listen to his speeches and look at his cabinet, who are in it? Good for you America. mom
Well, Andrew told me, sort of excited (as much as he can be excited about something that has nothing to do with computers and such) that this minority party thing is not working out. (I admit I am not sure if that's right for sure. I am confused pretty much.) Even your dad was excited about it and told me about it.
Unfortunately, I am not able to say much to that because a) I don't know your system at all and b) I have no time to get information on those things, I am just too busy with other things.
It's even difficult for me to keep updated with German politics and I can tell you there is more than enough on the news. But it's just too complicated sometimes. And it feels like you have to have a degree in political science to understand it all.
Funny thing, when it comes to American politics I am a bit better. Maybe because it's my field of studies or maybe because I don't get too many details. Who knows!
At the end of the day it feels like whoever you vote for or whoever is in the parlament, most of the time they do things no one agrees with. Of course you can't make everyone happy, I know that much.
Anyway, I got carried away. Sorry
I'm with you on this one Jenn. This is democracy and parliament in action. Don't like what you see? Then make sure you vote. It's that simple.
Many positive pieces of legislation have passed during times of minority government. The politicians hate minority government because it makes them work so hard to pass popular legislation that main street will approve and benefit from. Let's all agree to continue to elect minority government and keep our leaders humble!
I find it interesting that some people dislike minority government so much they want the ones in power to pretend that they have a majority. And yet a country such as Switzerland, has had a minority government with the same 4 parties for the last 50 years and look at how well they are doing. I agree with dad on this one.
Post a Comment