Friday, August 24, 2007

What have I been doing?


Some of you may be wondering...well preparation for kindergarten can be demanding. But not in a mentally taxing or nerve-wracking way. I have been doing a lot of cutting paper (which can be stressful for a left-hander) and laminating quite a lot. Next week I will be in many professional development sessions. After Labour Day kindergarten students come on scene. I'm looking forward to kids arriving in my classroom, finding their lockers with their names, locating where to put their indoor shoes, bringing school supplies, learning my name...It will be fun. Very different in some ways to grade eight, in other ways not entirely. Usually the big kids want to find out who the teacher is to get an idea what school and their lives will be like for the next ten months. It's a big deal (for teachers too.) I will not have ten months with this group but I am looking forward to starting with them--I will be their first teacher in their schooling career. Cool.

6 comments:

Ian said...

I get to see my new students on Monday too. My first period class will have a few students who I taught a different subject to so they won't be new.

Eric said...

Haaken still struggles some with using scissors, despite the fact the kindergarten teacher told me to work with him on it.

armacleod said...

You are very lucky to teach such an impressionable grade. I hope you enjoy your time teaching them about the world they live in.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

may you have fabulous little children full of wonder and delight. bring your camera! my friend teaches pre-k and takes lots of pictures for the kids. Remember the pics Jutras made? priceless. the kids and parents will love you for them.

Nin said...

It's such a blessing to me to hear your heart as a teacher. To hear that you take such responsibility, and find so much joy in being these kids's first teacher is amazing. With my little off to grade 1 this year, I'm still getting over those mommy humps of letting go, so hearing that there are so many awesome teachers like you helps. Thank you.

Bonnie said...

Yes hearing your heart for your students is comforting to me too, as I have been a bit shocked at the attitudes in my school this fall after working in hospitals for the last 8 years or so. I have seen some really bad teachers (eyes rolling, yelling at 5 years olds for touching a wall etc) and been well on my way to deciding to put Ronan into private school or home school! You are the hands and feet of God to those kids. :)

Thanks for your comments to me today. I am so humbled by them Jenn. What can I say, I have not been where you are and my heart is with you almost daily! Thank you for understanding what I really was trying to say. You are a beautiful woman. Wish we could see each other one of these days, it has been too long. Much love to you.