Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Pain in the butt—literally



It’s been a long time since I’ve written anything. There is a reason. For those not wanting to read about this kind of pain—please be forewarned.

(Just so there is no doubt, I have been enjoying my girl. She is a blessing and for those who have Facebook, you will know that we relish in documenting her many expressions and discoveries. I do not have any baby blues…although spring and the arrival of Mother’s Day and the fact that Gordon would have been 1 and a ½ bring a host of emotions.) But there has been something that has truly been stealing my joy: a pain in the butt.

I have haemorrhoids and I thought they were responsible for incapacitating me. I did it all…sitz baths, painkillers, ointments with anaesthetic, sitting with a donut under me, going for walks. I feared going anywhere for long because I might have to go to the washroom. Even our trip to Jamaica was tainted with pain. I was glad mom was there, my personal nurse and empathizer. John has been wonderful too. I still feel like I’ve been selling him and Imogen short because of my pain. The pain would not allow me to stand for long—changing her diaper, doing dishes, making a meal, giving her a bath, singing at church…all just seemed well painful. Even laying down did not offer relief—I would lay in a way that would affect circulation in my legs and feet. It felt like I was starting on the path to neuropathy.

Finally I made an appointment with my doctor and let her know that I couldn’t take it any longer. She referred me to a surgeon. I was not looking forward to this meeting. I heard about haemorrhoidectomies and they are nasty in regards to pain. Surgery just seemed like not a good thing. I let my fears and worries about surgery take over; I worried about general anaesthetic, having to pump or have a friend be a wet nurse for Imogen, long recovery time, effects for future pregnancies…. If there was a fear I found one. I asked for prayers not to have surgery, knowing that surgeons are in the surgery business.

I met the right surgeon. The first thing he said…after a painful examination from his student was, “I know exactly what your problem is. This is an anal fissure.” This was hard to really make clear in my head. I thought (and knew) I had haemorrhoids. He did his best explaining what is was and how it affected me. “Everyone gets haemorrhoids. This is what you need to do and here is what I’m going to prescribe.” He also went on to say that there were a few things I should do before we would ever get to the point of surgery. And as for surgery, “Even I wouldn’t want to have it done. It has a two percent chance of incontinency. For the two percent of people that is too high a chance.” So the ointment he prescribed is a heart medication to improve circulation to the area and start the healing and some lidocaine for the pain for 4-6 weeks. I am also upping my fibre intake.

I am feeling worlds better. I met a surgeon who doesn’t want to perform surgery—prayers have been answered. The pain is not entirely gone but now after I apply the ointment, if that alone isn’t enough I can use an ice pack. Goodbye Ibuprofen and Tylenol 1! I am a different person because of this. I no longer need to wince when anyone talks about needing a kick in the derrière…still I probably will. I am so grateful to have an alternative and some relief.

10 comments:

Roy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Roy said...

(I posted earlier, but there was a grammar mistake)

Oh the joy of "bum issues".

Been there done that, have a scar I can't show off.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy your prayers were answered! We'll pray that this new treatment will work even better than expected.

Thanks for sharing too Roy, and thanks even more for not showing off the scar :)

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Glad you shared, because in your words I can sense your relief and that it is so much better. I'm glad that this is helping and echo with Melissa- may it just get better everyday and bring a newness to your horizon.

Anonymous said...

We'll keep praying for complete recovery from those nasty things!! Love Sharon

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this with us, though it's a bit different.

While reading the text I wondered about one thing: why didn't you go to the doctor earlier on? Wouldn't have that been easier?

Ian said...

I'm glad that most of the pain is behind you.

jenn with two n's said...

Yes, some may wonder why did I let it get that bad. I had gone to my doctor and she had prescribed for my other ointments that did not work--they were for hemorrhoids. The thing is usually when you are sent to a surgeon it is a last resort. Most surgeons (as far as I know) are there to prescribe and perform surgery--if it can be avoided that is best. Having diabetes makes recovery time longer; the pain of surgery on hemorrhoids is excruciating and I would have had to consider Imogen as well. Thankfully the surgeon had a different diagnosis and a better prescription. I'm still not a hundred percent but life is much better. I do not dread going to the washroom as much--I stood up in the shower today. I have been able to change Imogen without being in a great deal of pain. I am loving and appreciating what life is like with little to no pain. And it is good.

Anonymous said...

Yes life for you will never be without pain since you have to depend on a few needles or so each day just to live. God bless you dear.Love mom

Julia said...

Jenn - my sister had one of these nasty things postpartum with her second child. It was sheer agony, and I'm so sorry you're suffering the same thing! But I can happily report that hers healed with the same treatment and she's back to normal. Soon you'll be too!